Summer is around the corner and if you are the type that likes fun, it is a period worth looking forward to.
One aspect of the summer that is inevitable is the heat. Going by the recent seasons, it is getting quite hot. Heat is uncomfortable and too much of it is downright dangerous.
Record shows quite a number of people have lost their lives and are falling dangerously ill when exposed to too much heat. This is one of the reasons most people spend the summer outdoors.
Air conditioners are the most popular ways to cool off when it is hot outside. Considering the fact that air conditioners consume a lot of electricity and cannot be used outdoors. They are not a complete solution to the summer heat.
Misting fans are a great go-to when you need to cool off in the summer when outdoors. And if you don’t want to spend too much on electricity bills.
When you get hot, sweat is released from your body and forms beads on your skin. When the breeze blows over the sweat, it creates a cooling effect on your body. This is the natural way the body cools down when the heat is getting too much.
How do misting fans work?
Misting fans work in a similar way. A misting fan does its job when it utilizes thermal dynamics which consequently creates a cooling effect upon evaporation.
A standard misting fan requires some sort of water supply and is fitted with a high-pressure pump that can generate about 1000 pounds per square inch. There are tiny nozzle openings that squirt out water in the form of mist.
The fan circulates the mist around the area and it mixes with the warm air. The warm air molecules and the mist evaporates, thereby reducing the temperature. This process makes a misting fan create a similar effect to an air conditioner.
The fan can circulate the mist over a wide area and wherever the mist gets to, the cooling effect can be felt.
Even though a misting fan requires water, the mist it creates contains only a minute amount of moisture and it evaporates as soon as it touches any surface.
The mist is cool on the body without feeling wet. You have to stand a few inches away from the source to feel any wetness.
Benefits of a misting fan
- Versatility – Misting fans can be used almost anywhere. This is a huge advantage it has over air conditioners. Air conditioners require an enclosed area to provide any kind of cooling effect. Misting fans can cool any area, both indoors and outdoors. It can be used in homes, patios, warehouses, camping, backyards, etc.
- Convenience – The fact that misting fans are available as portable devices make it a better cooling option. It can easily be carried from one room to another. You can shift it from one outdoor location to another and still achieve the same cooling effect. Due to the portable nature and convenience of use, you don’t need to restrict your summer activities to indoors only. You can go wherever you want and still get a cooling effect that makes you ‘tongue out’ at the sun.
- Affordable – Whichever way you look at it, misting fans are an affordable way to cool of in the heat of the summer. They are not as expensive as air conditioners and the portable ones do not require installation. In cases where air conditioning is not an option, you do not have to risk your health and spend extra on medical care. A misting fan has you covered.
- Lowers power consumption – Another way a misting fan offers benefits is that getting one can save you on electricity bills as you will significantly cut down on your reliance on air conditioning. Misting fans use electricity too but not quite as much as air conditioning consumes. With the lower power cost, the misting fan will end up paying for itself. Couple that with the fact that it is long lasting, it will soon start putting money in your pocket.
Tips for using a misting fan
May be the idea of a misting fan is beginning to appeal to you because of its portability or because you could use it outdoors too. Whatever your reason is for wanting to get a misting fan, here are some quick tips on how you can get the best out of it.
- Follow the user manual – For no reason should you skip this part! Not all misting fans are the same. The way you use one might be different from how to use another and guess where you will find the right information. Yes, right there in the users’ manual. This is where you get the precautions for using a misting fan. These types of fans can cause moisture to build up in electrical circuits and cause severe damage. So, please always use the instruction manual.
- Use in a well-ventilated area – A misting fan can be used in any environment which is one of its biggest advantages. However, it is ideal to use in a properly ventilated area. This is so because it could cause water to build up on surfaces that are close to it. It should also be positioned in a location where nobody will bump into it. Some misting fans are placed on water tanks and collisions might get water into the electrical components which might cause serious damage.
- Choose one with a convenient water supply – Some misting fans come hooked up with a water tank while the portable ones come with inbuilt water tanks. Depending on the type of misting fan you need, be sure its water supply is convenient to refill. You are in luck if you go for the portable ones as they are designed to be more and more convenient.
- Maintain properly – Misting fans are not supposed to cause water build up. They only do if they are used improperly. They often cause water to build up when used indoors but that is only if there is no proper ventilation. In a case like this, the mist that is supposed to evaporate and take warm air with it will not have the chance to do so, hence it condenses. This is one huge difference between misting fans and air conditioners. You need to keep the space ventilated.
Misting fans can be a great solution to the summer heat both indoors and outdoors. They won’t cost you nearly as much in electricity bills and are quite versatile. You just need to use them properly to get the best out of them.